07-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #30
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth944 View Post
Believe me, I wish the LSD didn't lock to 100% with the stock power levels it makes and being a street driven car. My questions are 1- how it is even capable of achieving 100% given that it requires slip to work in the first place and 2- what can I do to change (slow) the process of getting to lockup so the behavior is not so abrupt and a unexpected spin follows.
Assuming it's the diff, I'm not quite sure if you want less locking or more. One school of thought would say that if the differential pumping pressure is proportional to wheelspin it's always going to lock up, it's just a question of when. If this is the case, lower diff friction would simply let the inside wheel spin up more before it catches and locks, giving it much more momentum and potentially upsetting the car more. Better might be to reduce the speed differential the tires get to.

The main reason BMW claims the M diff in the 1M is better than a regular plate style diff has nothing to do with track performance. It doesn't lock uncomfortably on tight radius corners in a parking lot, nor does it have preload like a regular plate diff that would cause it to lock on ice. However preload is generally considered a good thing on the track. Makes me wonder if you don't want increased friction?

I was watching the Stig's off in the 1M again, can be found at 5:55 in on #3 here: Link
He goes past the tires- we know he cuts that corner significantly, so it's a decent bump, and if you look closely you can see the car's sideways from there on. This may have caused rear diff lockup, but you can see the instability from then on as he chases the rear- presumably he backed out of the power at some point, so it's not the diff, but he can't gather it up...