07-02-2014, 01:33 AM   #39
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
So you're after the apex, you've been at full power for how long? Accelerating, 4th gear? Are you unwinding the wheel yet? Certainly a strange place to snap-spin, after the rear is fully loaded up. Any video of the corner in-car from another car that you can find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth944 View Post

I had transitioned from 50% throttle after the turn-in to 100% at the apex, I think I had been on full power for about 2 seconds, in 3rd and started unwinding the wheel when it let go. I was holding a line a little closer to the inside of the turn than most people take so that if the front started to push, I had room to recover which it never did. The spin snap was so tight, I stayed within a car length in the direction of travel as the car did a 360 at the end of the turn and going down the straight away.

hmmm this sounds eerily familiar....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post

I was watching the Stig's off in the 1M again, can be found at 5:55 in on #3 here: Link
He goes past the tires- we know he cuts that corner significantly, so it's a decent bump, and if you look closely you can see the car's sideways from there on. This may have caused rear diff lockup, but you can see the instability from then on as he chases the rear- presumably he backed out of the power at some point, so it's not the diff, but he can't gather it up...
since you asked for video..... I actually have some... Clearly I'm no better than the Stig....I couldnt gather this one up.... It's literally one of the only offs I have had in the 1M and of course it was conveniently caught by a friend. At any rate... It definitely has had me scratching my head, just like you are over your spin Scott... so here it is...

This is a third gear corner... i entered it a little bit early.. got out of the throttle a little... and then found I was riding a pendulum... and as you can see.. I nearly had it gathered more than once.... and I swear that there was something going on from the car.. perhaps corner brake control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
No. the LSD is the same. Your thinking of the MDM mode. The electronic coding is different. On EU cars(or coding) BMW allows for more "yaw" or tail out, than on US spec cars. On the e9x M3's a lot of guys have their MDM mode coded to EU yaw specs.
Correct. I recently had my car coded to the Euro version of MDM. It absolutely allows for more yaw and allows the car to be rotated without cutting the power nearly as soon. I've only been to the track a few weekends with it and autocrossed once and played with it a little bit, but I am far happier.

I can lap around a track fairly quickly with my car in the US MDM mode by driving smoothly within the limits of MDM. In spots where the power is being held back in the US version.. there is no power cut in the Euro version and the slip angles that can be generated are much larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth944 View Post
And MDM keeps the snap from getting out of control when used.
yes it most certainly does ! The US version of MDM is actually pretty good for the street because it does cut in before a driver gets totally out of shape. The Euro version of MDM will let you get the car significantly more sideways, perhaps that it may not cut the power in time to save a novice or hamfisted driver.

With track tires on my car, the car is pretty much worthless in US MDM mode, because you can get the light blinking warming the tires up in the paddock. With Euro MDM, one can get on track and lap fairly hard with R tires. Certainly 9/10ths.. A major improvement. Lapping at 9/10ths one will see the traction light blinking on occasion, but it takes a major error or a major change in slip angle to cause a major power cut. At the autocross course... I can actually almost lap as quickly with Euro MDM as I can with traction control off , due to less overall wheelspin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
With 1M CBC also remains active at all times unlike M3.

Neil sorted it out through coding, had posts about this.

I went and found the posts... here..

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...&highlight=cbc

It looks like Mike Benvo has sorted out the dreaded CBC and can set it to be fully off when the DSC is fully off. I had my coded by another person, Alex @ Alpine who wasn't immediately familiar with the fact that CBC is there and can be turned off. I haven't noticed CBC yet.. but need more time on track and probably won't know for sure until I put track pads on again. now that I have found this thread I may see if i can press to find out for sure.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-02-2014 at 02:44 AM..
Appreciate 0