View Single Post
      07-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #40
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

The M diff.

First thing i have to say you need to get used to it. It s not an easy one.

My experience.

It s really feels like an open diff if you have no wheel spin.

When you start a drift you have half a second inside wheelspin and then diff locks quite extreme you need to be fast on the counter steering otherwise you loose the car.

This diff is a compromise to give comfort in daily driving and give pleasure if you want to drive extreme.

This diff is not the best solution for track days and drive with wide and high grip tires. It s a bit on off diff lock. The diff does not come in smootly on high grip surfaces. The diff is best if you drive on 18 inch winter tires in rainy conditions. The less grip you have you will enjoy the diff the best.

On a dry surface with ps2 tires you get some understeer on throttle but when you push harder the diff can lock suddenly when you are not expect it and backend swings out hard.

The best way the counter this. Try not to use the throttle to early midcorner. Go in fast and trail brake long into the corner and when the car is almost straight go easy on the throttle. The earlier you go on throttle and wheelspin comes up you get half second spare time but then rear diff will lock hard and send the back out. The more grip you have the faster you need to react and counter steer.

If you're in a drift never back off completely off throttle. What happens then. You're diff is going from lock to open again and you get instant grip in you're counter steering. The car wil go very hard the other way and you loose the back end. Be careful with this.

The diff works a bit like a rwd rally car. Most rally cars rwd have 70 procent lock. To get most traction out of corners. But mostly they set up the car on brakes or handbrake the car into a corner and need maximum traction out of the corner.

But on race cars i rather have a low lock on diffs or diffs which lock very smootly on the throttle input.

A 70% lock on a race car is to much it give lots of understeer. Then you always need to steer with the back end to get the nose in that means to much heat in the rear tires. This is rally style i like this a lot for fun. But for fast lap times it s a no go.

The best for track is to get as much grip you can get on rear and use as little rear diff lock as possible to counter understeer on throttle.

But the M diff is the best solution for road comfort and some fun. If you have 25 or 40% plated diff you get more cracking sounds etc. You don t want that in a road car. And if you're in a drift the nicest you can have is 100% lock it is sooooo nice if you can steer the car on throttle then.

But for a track day or permanent race car the best is always to go for a plated diff 25 or 40% lock. M diff is not very suitable for slicks.

The M diff is a compromise and a very good one. But you need te be aware if the diff locks. It takes no prisioners if you react to slow.

Last edited by Advevo; 07-02-2014 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 1