Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
Interesting.

The main point of disagreement is the 100 degree versus 97 degree Celsius temperature difference when external airflow is applied. The affirmative side dismissed the difference as negligible while the negative side used the difference at face value to mathematically support his hypothesis.

But there are issues with either side drawing an immediate conclusion from a single test:

1) The accuracy of the thermistors and digital thermometer (manufacturer lists its Digitech QM1601 Thermocouple Thermometer having an accuracy within 0.5%) were not deliberately factored into the equations by either side which could have a profound impact on the measured temperatures, and certainly with the negative's side of mathematical analysis as the propagation of errors could wholly upset his calculated results.

2) Multiple testing to determine the mean, average, and mode, as well as the standard deviation. This would have allowed us to understand if the 3 degree temperature difference was repeatable and if it was within the standard deviation to ascertain if there truly is a temperature difference either way. The affirmative team immediately assumed the difference was within the standard deviation/error and therefore dismissed it as inconsequential.

Regardless, I would certainly go the route of anodizing over paint if I wanted a black intercooler.
I wouldn't really call the mythbusted video a mathematical analysis. He just used firm thermodynamic theory. Like I had stated above. As a result of all the drawbacks that the mythbusted video states mainly the reduction in mass airflow and addition of the insulating layer you will see a progressively higher delta iat between the two intercoolers as outside air speed increases. The MCM guys did an alright job keeping the fins clear as they painted it. Joe blow with the spray can through the bumper is going to have terrible results from this.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0