08-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
joeo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson Red 135i

Garage List
2009 BMM 135i  [9.50]
Making Brake Ducts

I've been trying to come up with a nice way to make effective (not necessarily attractive!) brake ducts for the factory 135i brakes. I've been getting excessive, and uneven pad wear at the track which I think may be caused from heat (duh), but also localized boiling of the fluid right behind some of the pistons which would explain the uneven wear.

I started off trying to make it work with 3" hose and found these parts that I was able to bend/cut to fit the factory dust shield mount points.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all42117

I'd like to get it to blow on the vent inlet of the rotor, but it doesn't seem to be very possible.

I wanted the same looking duct on both sides. The passenger side has the oil cooler which complicated placement. I decided on a very thin, but very wide vent to capture a lot of air from underneath the car and direct it into a 3" hose.

It started to look like this (bottom removed) - using factory mounting points. I discovered that working with sheet metal involves cutting yourself.

Bottom installed:

The 3" hose is just a bit too tight, and I was able to push/shove/bend it into place, but I think 2" hose (can't seem to find 2.5"), might be the better way to go. If I go to the lock (steering), it will rub; not that I ever steer that far on track.

The vent was too low and would scrap on some bumps, so I modified it more to make the back end narrower. The amount of air that comes out of the 3" hose feels pretty good (ran the hose into the cabin and drove around; possibly getting odd looks from neighbors).

Thinking of redoing it all with 2" hose now and instead of using the 3" dust shield, just cut a 2" hole in the factory shield and use a 2" flange.
I used the aircraft spruce flanges:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...uctflanges.php
Currently looks like this:

Thoughts/comments/help appreciated. Thanks!

-Joe
Appreciate 0