View Single Post
      01-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #42
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

My tire-rack review. Following up, they are wearing like iron. Normally I'd burn up streetable Rs over the summer and swap to "summer" tires for winter, but these aren't even close to the wear bars. Easily 2x the life of a Dunlop Sport Maxx race or even an RS-3 (probably). Decent grip in the wet, limited ability to move standing water but you can keep up with freeway traffic in a downpour. Grip falls off rapidly below 60F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
The two reviews are nearly opposite of one another; one says the tires are really good for camber-challenged cars, and first one says the opposite. And this is the first time I am hearing Cup tires becoming greasy during autox, which would imply getting them to overheat during track sessions would be too easy. What to believe???
Not sure where you're getting that the need camber?
Getting them greasy at the autocross too effort, back to back sideways runs to get them up to 150F (very high for an AX) where they just started falling off. With the right settings and more conservative (normal) driving style you'll have no problem keeping them from overheating at the track on all but the hottest days.

I've driven these on the 991 GT3, which was designed for them, and they feel quite different. Much more responsive and even grippier- not sure how much of that is chassis settings, tire size, construction, or all of the above.