Thread: My 335i Project
View Single Post
      12-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #159
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

In terms of handling Mo yes it does seal the deal but that's partly down to the state of the bushes that were in situ, as stated earlier I kinda knew when we spoke that the rear of my car felt a little tied oddly enough when I had my EiBach/Bilstein set up installed the bushes were mentioned but that was about it but overall that's as far as it went but from there on in in my mind at some point the subject would of had to be tackled but when the car nearly swapped ends on me and a colleague 2 days later also expierienced the said same issue in the damp then game over. I had to change them

So this is what happened and what we saw. Up on the ramp wheels off

looking underneath at the rear bushes we saw this

the above where circled notice the rubbing that has taken place, this is where the bushes have worn away allowed movement not only up nad down so to speak but side to side(this was noted on both sides but the worse side was the near side of the car)which is understandable with roundabouts and all that, looking underneath we noticed this

an oily deposit and I'm 100% sure at the time that these bushes were not hydro filled like some of the others (but the answer appears to lie further down)

look again on the rear off side subframe looking at the front mounted bush

again if you look at little you'll notice some rubbing on the chassis underside so the visual evidence backed up the cars behaviour meaning the entire rear axle was indeed moving left to right as well as forward and backward under stress.

We opted to support the axle with stands and by doing this aved moving the exhaust and dropping the rear axle too much so more time prepping but you weren't entirely moving the axle and disturbing too much which meant bushes removed the axle kind of remained in situ and below is what you're left with with the bushes removed.

Here's the various pictures of the dead in the water bushes

they do indeed look tired and when examined and manipulated by hand the bushes could be made to twist and flex quite easily so again as they shouldn't ideally do this this confirmed all I needed to know, you'll also notice some of the bushes like the last picture look very black in places(like new rubber visually) these were or appeared to be smeared with grease which may explain the picture posted above a little earlier that appeared to be showing oil dampnesson the under chassis area.

So what were these tired old wreaks repalced with. Well these items from Powerflex. These are the rear bushes for subframe

and these slightly smaller ones are for the front part of the subframe

Out of the box for a look

they all feel very substantual, the final pictures were taken fitted but not fully tightened and placed if you follow me but you'll get the idea
(using the supplied grease packs you lightly smear the buses to aid fitting) sadly if you use gloves as you'll see if you touch a bush it gets covered in grease, no harm in that but makes for a dirty picture ...

But the end result was IMO worthwhile plus as said on a previous post these will last for ages potentually as they refuse to budge could save some money re rear tyres as well as the car appears to put the power town more effectively than I can remember.

Last edited by old grey steve; 12-25-2015 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0