02-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #155
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
Pobst also dumped on the 1M when he did lightning lap--in fact, he said he "hated it"

Yeah, the 1M is not for everyone. Pobst looked at it as a track car and he's right, it's not really a track car, it's a road warrior. I know many track it and do well but there really are better "track-centric" cars in my humble opinion.

Also, I wondered if Pobst had traction control on because let's be honest here, the base traction control is very, very intrusive.

The motor trend guys were taken by the engine which is really impressive sounding. So the 1M had a 97 out of 100 approval rating...that's amazing for a car that was built to satisfy a very small community. BMW built this for small group of people and it became a huge success. They were even worried it wouldn't sell enough because it was so unlike the other M cars.

So it really is not for everyone whereas the M2 IS for a broader group. It's for the guys that want manual or automatic. Sport modes, iDrive, etc etc. and it will also have a high approval because it is a really well thought out. It is a great car, sexy, fast, well thought out and brilliant combination of engineering and marketing but for me it won't have that "special" thing.

For example the GT40 Won LEMANS. The FORD GT is faster, better looking, more modern just as desirable and appreciating in price. I love the Ford GT and would kill to have one in my Garage. I would probably prefer it to the original GT40 because it's more modern and a little bigger BUT despite being a better car, the GT40 remains special because of what it represented in the period it was made. The 1M was a skunk-works project made out of love for a small group of people that wanted a lighter, more focused, fun car and it will be special in that respect no matter how much "better" the next generation of cars are.

2 cents.
Appreciate 1