02-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #177
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
Bumping an old thread. I'm curious as to how many of you have had a coil pack stick to the plug on removal, ultimately destroying the pack trying to get it out? Seems this has happened to some, and I'm wondering if I should play it safe by having a fresh coil or two on hand when changing my plugs (which I believe are factory)? This is my only car & I can't have me leaving it stranded in my garage.

(and to clarify, there is no coil extension as in the older motors, just one part[the coil]... right?)
You know if you're round 60K or so... it probably wouldn't hurt replacing all your coil packs. Thru BMW they are around $50 each. But sometimes you can find deals on them for as little as $25 on ebay or the like. I think Bav Auto even sells a higher performance coil pack set - too.

Having a spare one or two coils on hand when doing your spark plugs isn't a bad idea as well. Maybe stop by your dealer and ask a tech or two their experiences about the coil packs sticking together to the plugs. I bet most dealers would have a set of coils in stock.

Dack
Appreciate 0