MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
LL-04 oil is a Low SAPS oil, with a lower TBN/lower ash content. It is mainly designed for use with high purity/lower sulfur gasoline that they use in Europe.

With the higher sulfur content gasoline we have in the US, the oil breaks down faster, so it can only be used for shorter change intervals.

I would use just about any LL-01 oil in your BMW, irregardless of brand for any daily driver. You can use an LL-04 oil, but I would not exceed 5,000 miles (and use top tier gas) and would recommend you only use it occasionally if you must.
They seem to be pretty strict about changing the oil at 5K. And they seem to know their stuff. I can tell when I speak to them. They said it is "a better grade of oil" than LL-01. They are a European car repair shop. But primarily work on BMW's . but they service Porches, Audi.. etc.
I use Top Tier gasoline at every fill up and have been since June 2015.

I don't think I have anything to worry about as they use it and have for years at their shop.

I don't know.. that's why I shared this I wanted you guys to weigh in. Just like to know for sure if it's OK.
I would not say LL-04 is better. It has less additives in it that protect the engine from our crappy North American fuel. Those same additives can lead to some cat damage if burning oil. So basically, LL-01 is better for the engine, LL-04 is better for the cat and emissions.
Appreciate 1