View Single Post
      01-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

Thinking about trading my 1M...

I bought it new, did Euro delivery, Nurburgring, etc, etc, and it has been my daily driver for nearly 45k miles. Frankly the car has had a lot of of the common 1M issues; repeated charge pipes, plugs and coils, a couple of fuel pumps, headlights, a few electrical gremlins, and most recently the fuel injector bulletin to fix the hard starting issue. I probably should have popped for the extended warranty but didn't realize at the time that it was too late once the factory warranty had expired, so now it's all on my dime. The issues have really soured me on BMW, and I was convinced that I was done with the brand, but there's not much out there that excites me right now.

I like the M2, but accept that it's isn't and will never be as special as the 1M, and I'm not sure I want to get something that is so close to what I already have. I can pay for a lot of repairs on the 1M with the depreciation that the M2 will likely suffer, as it doesn't seem to be particularly hard to find one. A fresh warranty and low cost to swap to the M2 are attractive however. I've even considered a DCT, just to change up the experience a bit. I've got two other sports cars with manuals, and lots of motorcycles, so driver involvement isn't far away from me, even if my DD is a DCT.

I'm kind of hung up on the idea of an Audi. I've been driving BMW's for so long that the idea of getting into a car with a nice interior is attractive. The new RS3 is coming in a few months, and this is what I'd go for. 400bhp and a nice interior with cool Audi Virtual Cockpit might be nice! No stick, but unless I'm going for an M2, my choices for a manual are quite limited anyway. I suspect this car will run mid $60's, and that's fine, but if it pushes into the $70's it loses a lot of the lustre for me. I won't likely have a chance to test drive one before buying, so it's a huge leap of faith as far as the driving experience goes, and I do worry that it's just not going to be nearly as much fun to drive as the 1M, or M2.

If I didn't have two other sportscars I'd do a Cayman GT4 in a heartbeat, but I just need more space than a Cayman or 911 offer.

Anybody else in the same boat right now?
Appreciate 0