View Single Post
      05-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #28
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
Things start to heat up exponentially more at 5000+ rpms in 4th gear (100mph+).
The Mosport GP track is probably worse than most. The back straight is long and uphill resulting in full throttle in third then topping out fourth for 20 seconds of continuous full throttle. The long uphill is an unusual challenge for cooling. On the day in question it only took 2 full hot laps for the coolant to peak at 117 C (243 F) after starting out a reasonable 100 C. After that I reached or exceeded that limit on every subsequent lap.

Quote:
I am sure you follow MHD, so I am sure you've seen the cooling tables:
I don't and so I haven't. Thanks for those. I have had a look in Access Tuner Race and Cobb does not have access to the cooling tables, so I was unaware of them.

It isn't clear just from the tables what the control logic is though. Although ambient and throttle position are table inputs, I have to believe the actual coolant temperature is a control parameter also, and that after something like 100 C, the coolant flow will be maximum regardless of ambient or throttle position.

Quote:
I imagine the above logs will look way cooler this season with the new MHD settings.
That will be interesting to find out. Please report back.

I have a Mosport GP track day mid June. I will hope for hot weather so I can report back on how effective the radiatior change is.
Appreciate 0