04-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #11
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
2012 135i 6MT, car is 6.5 years old, but has traveled 30,000kms (18.5K miles) in its lifetime.
I am getting oil changed tomorrow and was planning on changing the 6MT fluid at the same time.
I don't have any transmission issues, save for an odd "bumpy" shift from 2nd to 3rd, when the shifter literally feels like it bumps over something on its way into the gate. But that happens very seldom on really quick shifts and it is near impossible to replicate at will... super random.
So my thought was to fill it with fresh MT fluid to smooth things out, but my indy insists on using original BMW stuff... which is what's in there right now - except it's 6 years old.
The cost is very reasonable, but is this going to be beneficial other than contributing to a peace of mind and a lighter wallet?
Or should I convince them to use Redline or something else known to improve shifter feel?
There are several items BMW will refuse to replace/flush and will only do so if repair are made:

- Coolant System Fluid/Coolant

- Manual Transmission Fluid

- Differential Fluid

Unless a water pump/thermostat or a hose replacement was made, the dealership will never replace the fluid, just top up. All coolant manufactures will say 24,000 kms or 2 years, whichever comes first but not BMW.

Same for the manual and differential fluids, unless the transmission or differential were opened up, they will never replace the fluids (BMW) but again, like the coolant, all manufactures recommend the same interval (24,000 kms or 2 years).

Every BMW owner i have spoken to regarding this that has replaced any of those fluids, reported back that the car ran better, shifted much much smoother and less noise from the rear. They also reported how blacked out/dark grey the oils in the transmission and differential came out.

At the end of this month, i will be getting all the fluids replaced along side a major service (all filters, plugs and coils) since they are the original day 1 items and 6 years old now (48,000 kms).
Appreciate 1