08-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #18
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMCLASSIC View Post
What's the life span for the wrapping material? Like maintenance wise how long are you supposed to leave the wrap on before should be removed? or does it have a limit? Is it possible to leave it on too long where the original paint could get damaged when removing the wrap? sorry random questions but I was always curious with these wraps. I really want to try this myself to maybe preserve my AW paint and experiment with a different color at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I'm curious as well if the vinyl wrap has a life span, or if there are any negative affects to the paint. It's made to go on paint, right? So I wouldn't think there would be any damage.
Lifespan depends on the product used, the installation, how it's cared for, and the paint itself.

A good quality vinyl can last 5+ years when installed correctly and cared for. If left out in the hot sun frequently 5 years is pretty much the cap, though ceramic coatings are changing the game with this too.

There should never be damage to the paint unless the installation is done incorrectly (extra adhesives used, not good enough prep, installer cuts through vinyl and into paint with razor, etc.).

The only time the wrap itself may damage your paint is if the car was repainted or touched up recently. There's been quite a few instances I've seen online where people wanted to preserve their brand new paint job and had the car wrapped within a week of the car being painted. Automotive paint needs at least a month to reach full hardness.

I'm planning on keeping this wrap on for 3ish years unless I get bored of it or sell the car.