11-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #9918
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
That's the way to keep those pesky cops off your tail.

I do it the old-fashioned way - with my eyeballs.

I know it's risky (I like the adventure) but I haven't had a speeding ticket for 27 years so I must be doing something right.

(actually, I don't speed that much) lol
I live in a part of the world where speeding is universally unacceptable, governments make shameless tax revenue from tight tolerances on covert speed cameras 'anywhere, anytime' and radar detectors are illegal.

I used to consider speeding tickets part of the total cost of ownership of a sports car; and have enjoyed a few months of walking/riding to work and drinking every day - no need to stay sober if you can't drive! - due to a suspended license.

Now, (I like to tempt fate often by pointing it out) - I've been more than a decade without any traffic offences.

There are a few factors I think help to avoid getting pulled over - as you get older you either slow down and become just another car with kids in a slow-moving convoy of traffic; or you get much better at keeping a keen eye out for police and slowing down quickly. Driving a car that doesn't scream for attention, and not having a straight-piped exhaust helps immensely. Travelling at or below the speed limit, not doing burnouts, and not driving in the places & at the times that street-hoons do their thing cuts your tickets by about 90%.

But that doesn't mean you need to be a sedate road user; nor does it mean that I don't drive in a way that when I eventually get caught, they won't throw the book at me.

You can have immense fun on the road without "speeding" - just commit to do your level best to spend the maximum amount of time at the speed limit.

Brake as late as you can. Take corners as fast as you can. Try to hit the apex of every corner you're presented with, and aim to accelerate out of every apex. Overtake whenever it's legal and safe to do so. Whenever you're moving off from a stationary position, or merging into traffic, aim to accelerate as fast as possible without wheel-spin.

Travelling at 150mph on backroads is fun; so are handbrake turns on dirt roads and impromptu hill-climbs - (that's why, despite the harsh punishments, young boys still do it) - but it's also really bloody dangerous and the sooner you grow out of it, the better off you'll be. ... and back in the day you'd get a ticket - now that sort of behavior will land you in prison.

(The really ironic thing is if I do 100mph on a backroad I'm completely covered by medical and property insurance. If I do the same thing on the track, I'm risking the entire value of my vehicle - because trackday insurance isn't a thing in Australia)

But driving from point to point as fast as you possibly can without breaking any objective road-rules (ie. no speeding, no illegal passing etc.) is immense fun; and doesn't necessarily result in traffic offenses.
Appreciate 2
1and11865.50
Esteban44797.00