View Single Post
      06-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #23
bobdavisnpf
Hapless Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 135i, '89 E30 vert

I wouldn't say I'm a huge BMW fan, but definitely a BMW-small-convertible fanboy. And I do appreciate the BMW community.

We were early on the EV and Hybrid bandwagon, got the 8th Prius in PNW when they made it to USA, then a couple more Prii, then Chevy Volt. After 2 Volts, when my wife got tired of being a 1-car family, I was waiting for Bolt or Tesla Model 3 to arrive when a friend basically gave me his old beater E30 convertible. Once I gutted and restored the interior, got the shop to replace most of the suspension, and had the top replaced, it was a blast to drive. The wait for an EV was over: I became a BMW fanboy for that old car.

We took it to shows, out on Club tours, and on TSD Rally drives. The BMW Club folks and the E30 Picnic folks were a lot of fun to socialize with. The E30 didn't feel like the safest ride, but the sport seats had a reassuring hug to them. Then the wildfires kicked up my asthma real bad, and we had to cancel out of 2 multi-day Club tours. I got a used 330i 'vert with "comfort" seats and my wife hated it; I sold it back to the dealer, resigned to the notion we'd have a 1-season touring car.

Then the 1er came up to my wife from a friend-of-a-friend; we both loved it. The tours are back on; it's a good 4-season car; and my daughter is even edging toward letting the grandkids ride in it someday soon.