View Single Post
      07-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #24
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
The mosselman parts berns posted are really nice. They are pricey, but the thermostat solution is really appealing. Just want to understand if 180 is too low for a mostly street car.
I wouldn't run the 180* thermostat on a street car. With my 26row, stock thermostat, and MHD race cooling settings oil was taking way too long to the warm up in cooler weather. Like 25 minutes of side-roads to work and it would still barely kiss 200f. I flash back to stock cooling settings for winter, spring, and fall for this reason. In moderate weather the car will sit at 210-230f oil when running MHD race settings. This is on a N55 6MT so slightly better cooling and less heat to manage.

Berns is doing time attack and pretty much has a race car at this point so the 180* might be fine for him.

Quote:
- AndyW asked this already, but what size AN line is recommended? (nice find on the parts posted by Gary@simod.net, that was another question i was going to ask)
-10 An is pretty much going to be the answer for the simple reason that the oil coolers usually come with 22mm welded bungs which is most commonly converted to -10AN with a fitting. -8AN is usually considered the minimum you would want on an oil line since the internal diameter of an AN fitting can start getting pretty tight.

Quote:
- It would be nice to have part numbers for the oil coolers used so we have an idea of what fits. Based on the size of the ebay cooler bbnks2 was able to fit, it seems a setrab 625 is around the max that will fit.
The GPlus 26row I bought is very similar to the Setrab 625. Probably manufactured by the same Chinese factory just without the branding lol. This seems to be the sweet spot size-wise. Anything bigger is going to get crazy trying to get air to the entire face and also get it to fit right without the fittings sitting below the plane of the under-tray.

Quote:
- How can we conclude whether or not the factory thermostat is a restriction? Based on what bbnks2, it doesn't seem to be a restriction.
Stick the stock thermostat in a pot of cooking oil and see what temperate the thermostat starts opening at. Then get the oil up to 250f-260f and see how "open" the thermostat is. I might do this over the next few days as I have all the parts just sitting in the garage. Only reason I haven't done it already is because doing stupid tests like this, taking picture, documenting, and posting takes tons of time. I need to get a job working as a crew member for a race team lol Then I can sit around all day playing with stupid shit like this and get paid for it. If only I could get away with bringing an engine into the office to play with at my desk...

Quote:
- Anyone have clearance issues with an aftermarket setup and a CSF radiator? After seeing the clearance between oil lines and the fan shroud in some of the pictures, i went and looked under my hood. My oil lines are basically smushed against the fan shroud because of the extra thickness of the radiator. Some of the pictures have much more room. This is what my car looks like.
Fitment is tight with the larger -10 AN lines and fittings vs the stock feed line which runs OVER the housing. But, you can get the lines to sit stacked on top of each-other like stock. The AN fittings also swivel. The fitment issue I run into is actually the front AC? line that runs near the serpentine belt. It's a hard line that sits right below the oil thermostat housing. It will fit though lol this is the easy part. Just zip tie the lines to stuff to keep them sitting in the right place. The hard part (time consuming) is making a bracket and shroud.

Last edited by bbnks2; 07-23-2019 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
houtan719.50