View Single Post
      07-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #40
1stTbuyer
Rep
Drives: e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
Yes the E90 has a valet key. You use the black, thin plastic key that came with the car and insert it in the fob sleeve that is in your glove compartment.

Full steps:

1) Take out the fob sleeve from your glove compartment
2) Turn the trunk lock switch in your glove compartment to the lock position
3) Lock your glove compartment with the regular key.
4) insert the small, black key in the fob sleeve and give it to the valet.

The sleeve/black key combo can start the engine and the small, black key can only unlock the doors, not the trunk or the glove box.

Very easy process, isn't it?

What's the point of step 2 if you have folding rear seats? It doesn't take much to access the trunk by means of the through-pass. It's a stupid design. I woudn't mind so much it if the fold down seats were a free option as they are in much less expensive cars, but when you pay $475 for the freakin option, you'd expect they spent a bit more time in thinking it through (either remove the pass through from the trunk, or better, add an extra lock like the glove box to the pass through). I hope they at least fix this in future models so that E90's trunk dont' get a reputation that they're extremely easy to break into (although with the current design, I'd hardly call it a break-in, anymore than opening the center counsel bin).
Appreciate 0