asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
What happened when yours failed?
First started about 2 weeks back, reversing out of driveway, and when I hit the "bump" at the end applied a bit more throttle to get out of the rut and heard a "bang" from the rear end like I hit something....and at the same time had no reverse (but was in gear still with the clutch out!!!). Took it out of gear, clutch out and then back into reverse, and had reverse drive again no issue.

Happened again a few days later, felt a bang, no reverse drive but still in gear. Out of gear back into gear no problems. Drove gingerly and dropped the car off at the mechanic - asked them to change transmission and diff fluid (had been a couple of years) and look for any metal bits. All came out clean.

Then last night driving, this time in 2nd gear maybe, coasting (using engine braking) as I approached a stop sign on a downhill, heard/felt another massive bang from the rear like I hit something. Pulled over looked under the car fully expecting a mess of metal and oil - nothing. Drove forward slowly and now a repeating and loud "thump" from the rear end which goes up in frequency with speed.

Got the car up on a flatbed to my mechanic, he basically confirmed something internal to the diff blew up. He hasn't opened it up to confirm what. Spoke with MFactory support (synchrotek in Cali), and Dave said based on what it sounds like I broke a tooth on a gear somewhere.

Nuts because my car is low powered, and I don't do any drifting or hard launches - it's my daily driver and the worst I've done is some DE days and a few lazy drifts in the snow.

My guess is that the diff was abused in its previous life - may be the ring and pinion / something other than the LSD itself who knows.
Appreciate 0