Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Thanks for pulling this thread together. There does seem to be a theme. BPC seems confident when I've spoken to them on multiple occasions that this is a hardware issue of some kind, and that their N51 tune should and will run and idle normally if there are no hardware problems. They did not offer a tune solution when I've spoken to them, but were helpful in trying to narrow down possible hardware issues.

1. N51 or N52 Engine?
N51 with SAP intact

2. Exhaust setup from headers back...eg (Secondary Cats, no Secondary Cats, etc) ?
AA headers, otherwise stock exhaust and intake

3. Who is your tune from?
BPC

4. How long have you had them installed?
14 months

5. Do you still have an idle issue, or did you finally get it resolved?
Yes, I still have the idle issue after trying many possible fixes (well documented in other threads, I won't elaborate here). Sometimes it's absolutely fine, other times it's nearly undriveable. Sometimes at the track I'll get a big hit of power when I give it the slightest hint of throttle coming out of a corner. Other times it's 100% linear and smooth. Sometimes it stalls when I shift to neutral rolling to a stop.
I purchased Rowsdower's car back in July 2019. The car still has the headers and BPC tune installed. Only "power" change I've made is adding a Euro airbox.

I did two things which I believe helped seriously calm down the idle issue on this car. It is still present but it doesn't fluctuate as often or as much as it did.

1) The car stalled at a stop light one day and threw a shadow code for the small DISA. When I swapped it out the DISA flap was stuck in a 30 deg position and did not move at all. When actuated through INPA, the motor would spin but the flap was stuck.

2) I installed a set of Eldor coils (p/n 12138657273) they aren't listed as compatible with the N51/N52 yet but they install and work great in my car. Prior to this, I checked the coils that were in the car and they were the unmarked Delphi coils that others have reported to cause weird electrical issues.

My next step, will most likely be to pull the large DISA and see if it is operating correctly. I probably should have done that by now but the car has been behaving so I kind of forgot about the idle bounce.

I will say that the only time the car idle bounces now, is when I clutch-in roll to a stop. Even then it's not every time. It probably happens the most when going at slow speed in a parking lot and rolling into a spot.
Appreciate 0