pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Talk about parallel upbringings! I was with you in spirit doing this! Did you ever fire anything with an E motor before they were pulled?

If any of this was done now, the kids would be arrested, placed on a terror watch list, etc. So sad.
I remember the D's being the biggest thing we could get, so no experience with the E's. We tried multiple times to get the rocket to explode when it reached altitude, but with no success. We loaded 12-gauge shells with powder and ran a fuse into the primer pocket from the top of the engine, but when the parachute charge of the engine went off, it all just came apart.

Forgot to mention that in the story of the hickory nose cone, Chuck was standing about 10 feet directly in front of the picture window of the living room of their house. If the rocket hadn't hit Chuck, it would have surely gone through that window and raised hell in the house. A lucky break, that would have ended our rocketry careers for sure.

We used to set up vast battleground layouts of Army men and blow everything up by burying firecrackers and M-80s amongst them and shooting into the battlefield with our BB guns. We had one Army man we called "Cyclops" because he had a BB embedded in his face. Good times. And yeah, a kid doing that nowadays would end up in a juvenile correction facility, a foster home, a straightjacket...who knows.