View Single Post
      05-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #16
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Check the master cylinder part numbers first. The 135i master IIRC is used in many applications.
Have a read of the E90 thread also as we documented the differences in the master cylinders and concluded the numbers in the casting refer to the bore diameter.

I have swapped boosters and masters before and there was not much difference in everyday driving. If you are swapping just the master, I would suggest tilting the booster upwards as that will give you the most room to work in. You can also unmount the DSC from the chassis and push that aside a bit to give you more room.

Water is the best cleaner for brake fluid.

If your pedal is currently mushy, make sure it is bled properly (pressure bleeder & INPA or ISTA) before chasing something like a master swap.
I also read somewhere that our cars are rear biased and the EBD programming will strive to use the rear brakes as much as possible, up until the limits of grip.
There is a lot of computer control in how the car slows down/stops. This is also how BMW can use the same master in so many cars with different brake sizes. We also discussed the worn pad sensor effect on brake response.

F30 standard pads are shit in terms of response compared to E90/E8x brakes. The compounds are different. F30 Brembo discs also seem to be a harder metal. That could also impact your brake feel.
Appreciate 1
Jeb_60.50