View Single Post
      08-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #74
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
I use a racecapture pro MK2 because of all the proprietary stuff, it can mix all kinds of data sources together.

I thpught you could add custom addtional can data into AIM if it's present on the network, never messed with it though
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
That is an interesting idea. I want to get the data into AiM Race Studio to be able to use its suspension analysis tools (e.g. shock speed histograms) and to tie that to the rest of the lap data. In theory a sustom protocol could be written to provide all the functionality of the AiM BMW protocol (BMW PT6) plus shock positions, using a Solo DL as the data logger. The AiM rep is looking into whether BMW PT6 is open source or subject to some NDA. If open source the task might be manageable, but otherwise, probably not. This science project is definitely outside my area of exerience though.
If the goal is to add the data to the logger only, you could also skip going to CAN and just add AIM sensors directly into the logger. That is what I am doing on my sports racer - I have the CAN connection ECU providing everything engine and then have manually added sensors for oil pressure, temperature, brake pressure x2, which is all integrated nicely on my dash/data for after the event.

If the goal is to add a really large number of sensors, most of the AIM hardware supports adding additional channels via the expansion module - you can add an unlimited number of these which allow for 4x more sensors per module.

-Mark