View Single Post
      05-15-2022, 03:57 PM   #23
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

April 2022 - LSD

Setup
I ended up going with an mfactory metal plate v2 (MF-TRS-10E90) lsd as It seemed like a good budget option and was curious about it since there was no information about it, and couldn't find anyone else running it. Since it's adjustable I took recommendations from mfactory for setting it up and ended up with 25/45 ramp angles, 100% lock and 120lbs of preload.

Installation
I had a shop install the LSD into a used auto diff to get the 3.73 ratio. I also got the solid bushings kit from turner when I installed the diff into the car. If I wasn't replacing the bushings it would have been a very quick job as I didn't have to remove anything to get it in or out.

Impressions
After following the break-in process and changing out the fluid I took it for a proper test drive on some back roads. It is very responsive and you can really mess with the engagements on long corners depending on how much throttle you input. The car feels like it's getting every drop of power it can to ground, and I do enjoy the additional stability under braking. One major downside is how obnoxious this diff is at slow speeds. It literally sounds broken and very jerky, but all that goes away once you get up to speed or just simply drive the car hard. Overall I'm very happy with how it feels at speed but would not recommend it to anyone that wants to daily their car.

diff noise:

Camber plates
I went with vorshlang plates as it seems like they give the most camber possible for this chassis and just seem like quality pieces. Install was very easy and even though I haven't had an alignment I can feel the additional camber. It feels like my car finally has some front-end grip. Before I felt like I had a good turn in but it would let go mid-corner, but that's all gone. The car finally feels balanced.

Brake Ducts
As there were no good off-the-shelf options for brake ducts except the ones that go into a lip I made my own. I started with a cardboard prototype to see if it actually fit, then recreated and improved it in Autodesk, and printed it out with PLA filament for the final product. I went with 2-inch high temp hose but I could have probably made it work with 2.5 inches. For getting it to the rotors I just used some 2-inch aluminum flanges that I bolted on the heat shield after a little bit of cutting with an angle grinder. I'm happy with the final product except for the tubing. I bought 1 ply hose which has the wire support exposed on the inside which makes it very fragile. Just kinking the hose has the wire get dislodged from it's supposed to be, making that section of the hose collapse. I'm going to replace it with 2 ply hose but for now, it's fine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Dieselboy453.00
DRLane3997.50