View Single Post
      08-12-2022, 08:44 AM   #1
g0atb0y_71
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Android Install Help

I recently purchased an Android Head unit from Aliexpress to replace the professional head unit in my 2012 128i.

When I pulled the stock head unit out to test the new one, everything plugged in and worked as expected - sound worked fine and I configured the steering wheel controls without issue.

However, I realized at that time that I do in fact have the HiFi system with the black amp in the trunk behind the drivers side wheel well. (very recently bought the car and it has no iDrive so I assumed it was base) There are speaker leads that connect to the head unit as well as the two optical cables.

So the question is, given that I am getting sound, do I still need to add the optical decoder or can I just close that loop with a cable.

I also had issues with the car never going to sleep after powering it off. Could that be related to the open fiber optic loop or is there something else going on? (I adjusted sleep time to never on the head unit and it had no effect)

I have read on some of the forums that the red/yellow are sometimes reversed in the aftermarket harnesses but wanted to deal with the fiber issue first.

TIA!
Appreciate 0