View Single Post
      02-12-2023, 12:47 AM   #1
Chorn519
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 bmw 128i  [0.00]
P0012 and fuel smell on oil cap and filter.

Was sitting at a red light and I noticed a slight surge and the check engine light immediately followed on my 2011 bmw 128i.
I have a cheap diagnostic scanner and it’s telling me, P0012 A Camshaft position timing over retarded bank 1.
I was checking things over and noticed the smell of fuel on my oil cap and filter.

Car starts right up without issue but I feel a lil hiccup or stutter on cold starts before the rpm’s lower. It won’t do it every time but the car is running a bit ruffer/sluggish lately, I thought cold weather was to blame. Considering my 128i isn’t a turbo car with direct injection I think I have a leaking injector and hopefully just a bad camshaft sensor in bank 1. I have read that the vvt vanos can also cause P0012. I don’t think the code is related to fuel getting in my oil but could be wrong.
I ordered a new seal/o-ring kit for all the injectors, two new camshaft sensors for both banks and some spark plugs.

If anyone with more knowledge and experience has any suggestions please chime in, i don’t know much about these cars, I just got it two months ago.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0