View Single Post
      09-13-2023, 02:47 PM   #7
thisisluka
Rep
Drives: 09 135i + 14 F25 X3 35i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
In the imgur album of probably the most successful 1M/N54 car (imgur.com/a/qMrpY7g), there's PWR coolers used between various rounds such as whether it's an endurance or sprint rd. Lower budget teams would just use one configuration or other brands (China, or better mocal/setrabs etc). Make sure you build larger ducts for them. A 1M duct for example, only covers about 12-13rows or so.
There are certain scope limits to my build (no cutting) and I go through brakes a lot. Since I don't want to add minor aero like lips, which would also be against APC rules, I have thought about 3d scanning/printing a custom oil cooler duct + brake duct all in one. Duct and shroud the core. Have an air guide that splits the bumper air dam feeding a hose into the wheel well with a traditional backing plate coupler. I think the 135i duct is in principle already like this.
That thing is a proper build. The level of detail and construction of the fuel cell alone, to fit into the stock fuel tank location like it does, is so good. Do you know if they were running dual oil coolers or if they chose to run additional radiators instead?

Kind of like how amg6975 mentioned, having most of the pressure be directed to the cooler would likely maximize the coolers efficiency, so running a brake duct within the same space like the OEM 135i design might diminish that. A cool idea I wanted to run for higher speed tracks was utilizing NACA ducts on the underbody tray. I have all the parts but just need to get around to installing, but will be a bit of a challenge as my chassis mounted splitter would cover up the ideal location for them. Post #44 in the thread linked below illustrates what I'm getting at. Worst case scenario, might just cut into the corners / ends of the splitter to make room for the NACA ducts. Was also thinking that they could be utilized in a split two output NACA duct on each side, one for brakes, one line feeding up to the engine bay out to the inlets for cooler air feed. Running a small bit of meth injection might be a more effective way to bring cooler IAT's into the equation though.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...1030176&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
Kind of what I was getting to, that quote suggests they were happy to blatantly cheat in the APC. Even though it's a long time ago now, I would be curious to see if it was actually them that said that or one of the local fraudulent scammers that forged such words on behalf of the team with a vested interesting at the time. Aka reselling RB's (and Helix/DAW turbos etc) before then running away when shit went wrong as does often with aftermarket hybrid twins. 12hr had potentially different rules to the 6hr and it hasn't allowed production/grassroots cars for a long time now. For one, no slicks were ever AFAIK whereas that picture has it. 12hr is typically a GT event with different rules entirely.

As for APC, it's limited. Cannot fit larger turbos including ported housings or larger/aftermarket compressor nor turbine wheels. It's not a high budget category (well, the top F8x teams are close to spending GT4 levels now) so scrutineering each car to the finest detail will not be F1 levels. Inlets, airbox, outlets, nor intercooler footprint are allowed to be changed either hence why the PWR intercooler is the size it is [and expensive]. This indirectly does not limit airflow to the radiator. Something to be mindful of, with large aftermarket intercoolers. The only other tuning with control fuel is via other means. You can see the list of vehicle specific "BoP" here [for the current year]: https://ausprodcars.com.au/regulations/
The rules are of interest to me since their qualifying laptimes are the only available benchmark esp if done with a semi-pro/pro during a co-driving weekend round.

Here's a pic on initial build of probably the most successful N54 APC car:
They were later selling a set with coated turbine housings on ebay when moving to the F8x. That's all the development that went into it or was really left free. Exhaust wise, you could do whatever you wanted post-turbine housings hence the DPs pictured there.
Fascinating, had no idea I was uncovering any drama haha. I know many racing leagues / organizations are very strict on modifications based on class, but definitely brings the level of the APC even more into light. Don't personally know much about the APC being based in the states, but sounds like it's full of intense competition.

The PWR stuff looks high quality but sheesh you're not kidding about how expensive they are. I'd imagine the F8X platform being far more competitive and capable given the higher baseline level of performance with a forced induction motor from factory. Regarding the larger IC, that's another thing I've been thinking about, given that it's great the VRSF's have a huge surface area (which contribute to their insane weight), but a majority of it is covered up behind the front bumper cover. Maybe might benefit cutting the bumper cover and implementing some shrouding on the higher end of the IC. I wonder how much of a difference the coatings on the turbine housings would make. Thankfully the classing I would fall in allow a lot more freedom, so could consider running turbo blankets & downpipe wrapping if theres anyone that even makes them for the smaller stock snails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
What I'm talking about are the "brake cooling holes" that are just inboard of your oil coolers. These will bleed high pressure air from the front air dam area into the wheel well. To increase the amount of airflow through your oil coolers you need to increase the pressure in front of them and decrease the pressure behind them. Blocking these off would do that. Whether it would make any difference or not, I have no idea.

Edit: Look back at the pictures I think you already eliminated these. It does look like there may be an opportunity to better direct the airflow in that area though.
Ah I understand what you're saying. Yes, as you mentioned those have been eliminated. Before driving to track I pull the fender well front plastic out, and make a flexible shroud out of aluminum tape from the bumper opening, connecting to the edges of the oil cooler, which ends up being one time use, more or less. I want to make a shroud either out of aluminum or plastic long term, but am waiting until this winter after transitioning to using the 1M body panels to have a more "final/permanent" setup. Ideally I'd also cut more louvres into the tops of the 1M fenders to bleed out that pressure from the wheel well, so hopefully the combo would be more effective per your advice. Thankfully don't have any brake overheating issues (yet) but ideally running the ducted GT4 front lip, or implementing a pair of NACA ducts in the underfloor tray as mentioned above would bring resolve when I eventually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
Yeah my car is an S65. Way better at heat management than the N55 that was in it before. I was having some minor oil temperature issues but swapping from an OEM to a DO88 radiator and doing some internal air management of the oil cooler air stream really helped a lot. Now the only thing that's any sort of issue is the DCT will start to get a little lazy after 20-30 mins of hammering it on track. One cool down lap will get it right back though.
Love that for you, it's gotta be beyond a blast having that power plant in there! The sound alone I'd imagine is intoxicating. How's it feel on track with a bit less weight over the nose not having the N55 in there?

Are you using the S65 DCT or the DCT from the N55? I'm unknowledgable if they're different / fit up at all besides knowing that they're both DCT's. Have seen some users with the N55 DCT having similar issues even with an aftermarket cooler, is it worth adding further cooling or is it just a downfall of that generation of trans?
Appreciate 0