View Single Post
      12-05-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Does the live reading react quickly to changes in the oil level?

Have you ever changed your oil level sensor? I'm wondering if mine is old and not performing as well as it should be.
After you add oil, you will need to shut down for about 5 minutes, then restart the car and go through the dash oil level measuring process before you get a stable reading.

Track driving is too dynamic to get a stable oil level. I suspect that is why it is not giving you a reading after being on track. Under normal driving, once the car is warmed up the dash will give you a reading immediately on request because the sensor has been seeing a stable valid reading for a while.

I doubted my sensor too, but the things are pricey and apparently often changed unnecessarily so I wanted to investigate first. Also, I cleaned mine ultrasonically before I went through the process. Nothing indicated it was excessively dirty or clogged up.

I suggest at your next oil change you try the code reader at a couple of known oil levels to see if they agree with my findings. If they do, your probe should be good.
Appreciate 1
Brian_10.50