04-09-2024, 10:28 AM   #93
Fishee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by demas View Post
Indeed..

Well, as I wait, I've been browsing Real OEM, FCP etc. for other things down the line like contemplating an HK sound upgrade, tire choices, maintenance items etc.

While running through the options on my car per VIN decoder, I came across this:

[S258 = Tyres With Runflat Properties]

Interesting. Did the E82 2010/2011 models come with Runflats from factory? I wonder how that would have felt with the M-Sport suspension and which tires they may have came with.

Something close I think might be an E85 Z4 I once rented on holiday circa 2006 that had RFTs. Real hard ride from what I recall. I liked it, but then girlfriend now wife didn't :-) Thinking about it now, it might suit the 1.

Had RFT's on the 550i brand new in 2013 - they were much more compliant but I did swap them. It was shared that BMW tuned their suspensions considering the heavier RFT's so we were skeptical back then changing to non-RFTs when these cars were still new.
I don't believe there's much reasonable suspension tuning that can be done to compensate for the ultra stiff sidewalls and added weight of run flats. Lowering the rebound rates, softening springs... none of it fits with the car. Run flats are just all around terrible. Like boat anchors, with added weight where you really don't want it, dynamically speaking.

I believe that many 1s came delivered with Bridgestone RE050A RFT (215/245).

Swapping to slightly taller PS4S, an E60 spare kit in the trunk, and refreshing the suspension... be it with OEM or quality aftermarket is, in my opinion, what the car needs to be a fun weekend ride. YMMV.
Appreciate 1