05-01-2024, 10:39 AM   #85
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthilly View Post
I don't think I'm putting too much faith into them, they were the gold standard of automotive journalism until recently, IMO. And the i4 has one competitor, and it's the Model 3. It's one of literally 2 electric sport sedans below 50k; it's almost a winner by default.
Agree to disagree on the gold standard. I don't care about EVs. I just did my due diligence and looked up their Top 10 throughout the years. Question. What did the 3 series go up against all those years it spend on the 10 best list? C-class? A-series? What else? Was it winning by default?

Quote:
I'm not even close to asking for a 3,000 pound sedan. My e90 335i was tested at over 3500 pounds, and the f80 m3 was lighter than the e90 m3. The G20 I believe is in the high 3600's. "Regulations" don't require bad steering feel and unpredictable rotation - unless the Ct4/ct5/giulia/genesis g70 are somehow ignoring these.

Here's a link I highly reccomend reading, or here or here.
No but they indirectly require electric steering, which inherently has no real feedback. I can't speak to any of those as I haven't driven them but I've seen, read, and heard the reviews. I know that Porsche has mastered EPS. The rest? I doubt it's anything meaningfully better than what BMW is able to do. As far as unpredictable rotation goes, this is new to me. I'd love to hear more about it. Are you talking about snap oversteer?

Quote:
My 5&7 series points are not anecdotal. My first statement was that "no car comes close in involvement" and you're combatting that with "anyone who needs more room would take the larger care". You could take that sidestep to literally any argument: "how's a cayman gt4 more fun than a suburban? I want a bigger car". Not a good one.
I wasn't trying to make a strawman argument. YOU compared the E90 to cars one or two classes larger. I simply pointed out that there is a reason why one would choose the larger car. Purely based on driving dynamics, yes, you're probably right. Maybe I'm not understanding the point you were trying to make here.

I can make this argument though. I'm willing to bet the house that my E36 is more involving to drive than your E90 - dynamics, feel, and weight. So was my E46. E90 is faster - that's it. I can make the same argument for the E36 vs the E90 that you're making for the E90 vs the G20. But there's more to a car than that. The E90 was a fine vehicle but it's not the pinnacle of automotive engineering. Let's not talk in absolutes.
Appreciate 0