View Single Post
      06-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #57
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I wish I knew more about the way BMW handled Mini in N/A...I have a funny feeling BMW will duplicate a lot of the introductory strategy used on it for the 1-er.
That would be extremely difficult to pull off as the MINI already had an established name and brand. All BMW had to do is play the retro card: show them some pictures of a center-mounted speedo and funky styling bits and then talk about the "glory" years when cars were about driving and so forth.

You couldnt do the same for the 1er for one very good reason: it isnt retro. BMW could try to link the connection between the 1er and the 2002 and that almost certainly will happen. But the main strategy for BMW should be to sell the typical BMW hallmarks: great handling, good power, nice interior + relatively cheap price and small size for the 1er. I dont think that many people will buy the 2002 connection. BMW tried to play that card with the introduction of the E90 (did anyone here watch the "Icon" video?) but it really didnt work well. At the end of the day what did work was selling the established brand identities.

The price point for this car will be very interesting because on the one hand you have the argument that if BMW prices it too low that it would snag sales from the E92, but on other hand, if they price it too high it could suffer total failure. If the price difference between a 1er Coupe and an E90 ends up being less than 5,000 dollars, I think that most people would decide to pay a little bit more for similar, yet slightly worse, performance but more room.

Brookside brought up the financing programs and that is what will really determine the 1er Coupe's price. The lease programs on the E90 right now are exceptional. With such a good program being offered for the bigger, more practical car, the 1er will have to be significantly cheaper for the casual car buyer to buy into the 1er's smaller space.

Im hoping that a softly equipped 135i can be had for around 32,000-33,000. If the price goes up to 35,000 or 36,000, I think many people would rather buy into a base E92.
Appreciate 0