View Single Post
      07-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #108
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

edit: haha no not wiki... from the mind of aes

i have nothing against the 135, in fact i love the thing, but youre just trying to be a pain in the ass. although i probably offended 99% of the people on here.

that being said i made a post earlier in this thread about the M1 and then went home and slept on it.. and overnight fell in love with the idea of an M1. my dream went something EXACTLY like nixons post..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
When it comes to engine weight, how about an all-aluminum version of the S54? The 123d's engine is all-aluminum and designed to handle 300 ft/lb torque at much higher compression ratio's than the S54. The 123d comes in 145 lbs lighter than the 135i. They have the technology.

I don't think anyone has mentioned a lower final drive ratio yet. That could give an M1 much more pep, no matter what engine they used.

A moderately tuned twin turbo from the 135i with just ~350 hp and ~350 ft/lb mated to a lower final drive in a lighter car would also give the kind of performance gap that M-buyers would expect.

How about this:
1) Either more HP/torque tuned into the twin turbo out of the factory, or a lightweight high-reving all-aluminum higher HP/torque version of the S54.
2) LSD
3) Lower final drive ratio
4) Carbon fiber roof (sunroof delete obviously)
5) Suspension upgrade
6) cooling system upgrade if the TT is used
7) vader-style lightweight manual adjust performance seats
8) Lighter body panels and suspension parts, etc to get the weight down
9) Unique paints and interiors only for the M1
10) Unique wheels only for the M1
11) No RFT's
12) More modes for more conrol over the electronic babysitters (DSC, traction, etc)
13) short shifter with better feel
14) Warrantee intact on everything.

I think that would be enough market differentation from the 135i to draw buyers to spend more for the M1. It would at least drive a ton of attention on the web to the 135i and the M1. Think of all the posts about whether the M1 was worth the extra cash, or whether just chipping and upgrading a 135i was a better deal... Like in this thread, way before we even know if a 135i and an M1 will ever be sold at the same time. It would be better for BMW sales than endless posts about whether the Audi S3 or whatever is better than the M1 or 135i.

With all that dreaming aside, I would still rather see a less costly 123d in the next round of 1-series cars instead of an expensive M1. I'm sure that opinion isn't very popular with most of the posters on all the BMW boards. But I would bet there would be more actual buyers in the showroom closing the deal to buy an inexpensive 123d, than the number of board posters who would leave the virtual world long enough to close a deal on an M1 in RL.

Were those fighting words? Heh

<flame-resistant underwear on>

With even more emphasis on weight savings. I mean real, raw, M - total weight savings. like screw sound deadening, minimal safety requirements etc etc. if theyre trying to revamp the e30 or the 2002, dont talk about it, be about it. to be honest i dont need that much power, i just want to be able to HAUL ASS through those twisties. and I'm not going to be purchasing until around 2010 to be honest which puts me in a fairly good position considering even if all 3 were available today i wouldnt be able to choose between the 135, the M1 and a 123d. I think it would depend on the gas mileage and cost of the M1 vs 135 and the overall experience i got out of driving the 123d (if it even comes)

yeah its hypocritical to make a lot of those statements and then talk about gas mileage but call me a responsible enthusiast. youre all hypocrits too.

haha oh man i better just leave the forums now

"somebodys got a case of the tuesdays..."
Appreciate 0