01-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #86
Guerillah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' F30 335xi AW MSport Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Actually no - perhaps performance at a small budget.

If ultimate performance was the goal, there would not be a tall/heavy sedan bodyshell, there would not be 2-3 extra seats in the back etc.

Actually, scratch that. They were originally built as rally homologation cars - if Mitsu and Subie wanted to go rallying, they needed to build a few thousand of these cars. The fact that they could sell them at all (for a $15k premium over the mundane versions) I think came as a surprise to both manufacturers.

Later, Mitsu figured out they can apply a little spit&polish to their car and sell it for $5k more than they used to. Thus the Evo X...
The EVO X has a lot more technology in its chassis, brakes, awd, suspension than the 135i. I bet if they ever do a comparo on a road course, the evo x being heavier and slower in a straight line will demolish a 135i due to its superior grip, handling, braking.

Also, the EVO X isnt 5k more than the IX unless you're comparing a IX RS to a non existant RS EVO X in the USA. The cost between the two is a little more than a 1000 dollars. You add the better interior, AYC, bigger wheels/tires, and inflation into the mix and you're getting a lot more for the money than the previous generations.

The EVO X has only been out for two weeks and one shop already has it making near 350awhp/tq on 91 octane gas with nothing more than bolt ons. Theres currently no way to tune the ECU so thats pretty impressive.
Appreciate 0