04-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #98
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I think we just agree to disagree on the asthetic value of the 1er's interior. :biggrin:
haha, i concur. i think the difference that i like so much is how the trim goes around to both sides of the steering wheel, adds a little more flavor - definitely to each his own. (and the nav screen is much more impressive when incorporated on the E9X dash). but i digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Not sure I agree. Yes, I'd love to pay less for the 128i. But what extra you're paying for the 135i amounts mostly to superlative performance... something you'll rarely, if ever, use (unless you track it, which some do). It's dimishing returns on the extra $$. 135i is a good buy, don't get me wrong. Especially if you cross shop it against an entry-level Porsche. But 128i zsp delivers 95% of the performance, handling and looks for 87% (yes, I took out my calculator) of the price. Both great cars, and 128i is a good deal.
i agree that it is superlative. however, its so superlative that i think it puts the 128 behind 95% (i'm talking 95% of capability rather than 95% of typically used capability) we need to find a way to integrate each torque curve and add brake torque difference and then somehow account for the visual benefits (which are costly if that's something that matters to you and you would want to change if you were to buy a 128i). then, in my book, you're below the 87% price difference. different strokes for different folks.

i guess for me it comes down to i would be (very) happy not touching a thing on the 135. i would have to tweak some things cosmetically on the 128, and it would start adding up quickly enough to where it wouldnt be worth it. that's my personal whiney gripe. and i would miss the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0