04-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #72
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice1 View Post
john970,
thanks for your explanation. the sound quality out of the dock connector vs. the headphone jack is still confusing me, especially after reading threads such as this. Some have related that the dock connection bypasses the headphone amp and thus provides a constant output. I will just have to do a blind test as you suggested in the other thread and will post my observations.
There is more misinformation about hifi audio than probably anything else on the planet. It is one field where everyone proposes to be an expert. One thing you will almost never see on an audio forum is any sort of double-blind test, also known as an ABX test. The most ridiculous thing I have read is people putting coins on top of their speakers to "nullify external magnetic fields" and people were debating which coins sounded best!!

Anyway, the iPod amplifier is integrated onto the same chipset as the DAC and cannot be bypassed unless you crack open the case and resolder the wires. There are services that will perform this modification for you, such as Red Wine Audio (http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html). The line-out and the headphone jack on almost all digital audio equipment use the same clean signal path as an (unmodded) iPod.

The claims these companies make are completely ridiculous. The above mod claims to give you "more seductive midranges." Say what?

Not to turn this into a rant, but the concert and hall Logic 7 modes introduce a huge amount of distortion into the signal path and people actually pay a premium for that processing.

Hope this helps dispel some of the myths.
Appreciate 0