View Single Post
      02-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

KW variant 2 installed this weekend.....

So in in between taking care of the gf over this Valentines day weekend I also found time to take care of my other love, the 135.

I installed the KW V2 set that I got from John and Drew at Gravity Autosport.

I started on it Saturday mid morning. By 3pm I had the fronts done. Hate to admit it took me so long for just the fronts, but I wrestled with it a bit to get the old strut assemblies free from the lower mounts, and took my time to make sure all was done right.

By 3pm, I called it quits for the day, cleaned up and took the gf out for a great italian dinner and a movie and some fun. Of note, excited girfriends can sometimes make a mess on your leather seats, advise carrying some leather wipes in your trunk. However, the 135 has now been christened!

Sunday mid morning I started on the rear. First the right rear, this went well, no issues. Left rear, the exhaust was making it impossible to remove the lower trailing arm eccentric bolt. I was already a bit cranky and short of patience. (lack of sleep, and sore from spending so much time on cold concrete floor) In a fit of frustration I slid under the car to unbolt the exhuast, my frustration lead to carelessness, the exhaust fell free and smacked me right in the nose. Upon such time I slid out.....uttered profanities like a sailor for the next 10 minutes, iced my nose, and then back to work. Buttoned up the left side, spent some time tweaking the ride height and also drilled some small 1/2" holes in the trunk liner so that I can freely adjust the rear shocks.

The struts and shocks are set to medium. Seven clicks from full firm.

Upon taking it for a test drive, I was impressed. It felt very compliant and streetable. Just like stock, no aweful bone jaring feel at all. However, when you go into a corner, it is much more balanced, composed and sooo flat. Very confidence inspiring! Additionally, I have zero vibration, clunks, or noises, the cabin is just as quiet as before.

Over the next couple weeks I plan to let the springs settle then fine tune the ride height, take her in for an alignment, and experiment with the different rebound settings to dial in my prefernece. Right now, it is perfect for street, but I do think I can tune it a bit firmer.

Overall, very pleased with the setup and eager to spend some seat time with it and tune it further!

This is the way the 135 should have come from the factory!

Pics to come later.

135 - KWv2 coilovers
E36 M3 - Ground Control coilovers
E30 M3 - H&R Race and Bilsteins

Last edited by Mark M; 02-16-2009 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0