06-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #69
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post
I've installed the Hotchkis front bar, it does reduce body roll a lot and the car is more composed when cornering. However, one weird thing I notice is when I go thru speed bumps, the rear seems more bouncy than the front. I'm not sure if it behaves like this stock, maybe I'm just didn't pay attention before. When I go over speed bumps, the front will settle after maybe 1 oscillation where the rear takes 2-3 oscillations before it settles.
I want to know if anyone notice this rear bounciness after a front only sway bar upgrade.
That's weird... sounds like the bar is not installed with zero preload at your static ride height. Meaning, for whatever reason, your bar has some load on it at static ride height.

As you know, during symmetrical up-and-down suspension movement, the bars do nothing (unless they have some load on them from not being installed correctly). I would try getting some adjustable sway bar endlinks, get any swaybar preload out, and then see how things are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
There's a 2-day open autocross practice event this weekend and I'm planning to spent part of the time playing with the various modes out of curiosity.

Are there any specific experiments you'd like me to try with DTC/DSC?

Currently I'm planning to compare all 3 modes; when entering a corner too fast, in a long sweeping corner, in a slalom (but I suck in slaloms ) and accelerating early out of a slow corner.
See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
jeff,

As you may recall I mentioned that I had quite a bit of time to experiment on different skid pads. We are putting on an event at the Shenandoah Circuit this weekend and I have set up the skid pad for instructor training for the whole weekend. Time permitting - I will continue to refine my testing of the different modes which were covered in an earlier report.

If you don't mind please describe an effective E-LSD test --
Well.......hmm. Like I've said previously in this thread, with DSC+DTC off, I have not felt any kind of electronic intervention other than ABS. And I think if anyone is going to feel it, it's me.

But, to give you something to try: Since you have a skidpad, try getting the car near/at it's grip limit around the pad so that you are at constant throttle and constant steering. Then, abruptly lift off-throttle, turn in towards the center of the skidpad a little bit (maybe a 45* change on the steering wheel), and then abruptly go to full throttle and pay attention to the feel of the rear end of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philaf_666 View Post
I've noticed the exact same thing after installing the Hotchkis front sway.

At that time, I had the KW v2 set at max and the m3 front tension rods and wishbones.

I realized that the front of the car was now too stiff overall for the rear so I installed the UCC rear sway, m3 rear bushing and 700lbs swift spring in the rear only and the car is now really well balanced.

I do noticed the one wheel spin getting out of a tight corner, but since I'm not tracking the car, it's not a big thing for me. The rear sway is set at stiff so I might try the soft setting to see if it helps. That's the problem with open diff!
If installed correctly (i.e., with zero preload), the bars shouldn't affect front and rear ride rates at all. And therefore shouldn't cause what you guys are describing.
Appreciate 0