08-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #80
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasracer View Post
cool, I will be there at cal speedway with speedventures, so I will try to say hi. I will be trying out the 135i with the dinan suspension with stock tires, I tracked there bone stock in may with bmwcca and had a ball. Now I have the stage 3 (springs, shocks, sways, camber plates), so hopefully it'll be fun. I am trying to chew up the tires, so I can get the fender flares and then get a square setup and hope the wife doesn't notice.

I will be in the red and green groups so please don't blow the doors off my car too badly when flying by...thx
Nice meeting you, sir. Sorry I did not get the chance to blow your doors off.....was busy doing that to Corvettes.....

That 335i was awesome. Hope you had a good day and get home safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Jeff, I just read the entire thread and this is very helpful. Ive had my 135 for a year now and I just ordered the KW V2's.

I recently switched from the run flats to so non run flats and the suspension seemed to get much more floaty. That combined with Oktoberfest coming up and me wanting to try some of the driving schools prompted me to go ahead and order the KW's.

Here are my questions.

1. I am planning on doing the suspension install myself. Im pretty handy and I have all the tools, but Ive never done something like this before. (other than installing a leveling kit on a truck a couple of years ago) Is it pretty doable in a day? Is it something I should even be considering?

2. I see lots of posts mentioning the camber plates. Is this something I should really do if I am going to be on the track maybe 3-4 times a year?

3. Should I go ahead and do a front swaybar while I have everything apart? Hotckis? Other suggestions?

Thanks,

Kenny
1) Yes, it's not too hard to do. I am no mechanic and I can do it. An extra person to help you will make things a lot easier. You may also have to rent/borrow a spring compressor from Kragen (its like $10).

2) I sure think so. Lack of front camber is by far the biggest problem with strut-type suspensions... and to really make the coilovers worthwhile, you need camber! Without them, the car will understeer pretty badly.

3) If you have to choose between the two, I'd recommend camber plates over a sway bar. But, if you have the budget for a sway bar, I thought the H&R solid front bar matched up very well with the kit KW spring rates. (I recommend keeping the rear bar stock unless you enjoy sideways motoring.)
Appreciate 0