09-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #97
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkcormier View Post
Jeff, it's me again. Need another round of advice. I am going to buy coilovers. 95% sure I'm going with AST 5100's. I need help with spring rates. To recap, below are my current suspension mods and setup:

1) Vorshlag camber plates
2) M3 control arms
--I can get -3.2 to -3.6 neg camber. More obviously when the car is lowered on coilovers
3) UUC 2-position front sway - 27mm. Currently set at soft setting.
4) 255 toyo r888 tires - square setup

This setup still has a little understeer, but it is pretty neutral. Certainly not tail happy.

I am hovering around 450f and 600r. What do you think?

Philip
Hey Philip,

Sounds like you have an awesome setup! This will be a very fast car. I'm sure you will love it when it is all done.

Ok, as for spring rates... Considering your setup is very similar to what Berk Technology (135i) and HP Autowerks (335i) are running, I would recommend going with 450lb/in F and 800lb/in R. This puts your wheel rates at 415lb/in F and 253lb/in R. Berk and HP are at 400F/800R springs, and the cars are a little too loose. They both need a bit more front spring rate. That is why I suggest 450F; both Berk and HP Autowerks are going to try 450F next to help with the oversteer. 400F/800R results in a very neutral car: perfect for drifting, but to go fast it needs a little more front spring.

Also, I sure would think the ideal setting for that front bar would be the 'stiff' setting. Strut-type front suspensions usually like a lot of bar.

I'd like to see some pictures of your ride height after you get the coilovers on
Appreciate 0