09-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #101
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tyler View Post
- You can run -2* as a daily and you will be OK on tire wear! But, you will need camber plates to get to -2*. I'll be honest, I don't know how much camber you can get without camber plates, as I have no experience with that setup.
- For front toe on a street car, I recommend just a tiny bit of toe-out (also, this is what the factory recommends). Like, 1/16" total (so, 1/32" on each side). I also suggest setting it to the max caster you can get. This really helps with overall steering feel, gives it a nice "on-center" feel. Also helps with U-turns on the street.
- My other advice: Under compression, the rear toes out. So, I suggest running more rear toe-in to compensate. But, since yours is mainly a street car, I'd keep it down to about 1/8" total rear toe in (1/16" each side)

Hope that helps! Sorry for taking so long to reply...
Hi Jeff, no problem, thanks for your time

The Bilstein have been installed on the car. I don't exactly know the lowering, but it seems to be a bit more than what I expected. Anyway, my mechanic made an basic alignment and asked me to run with the car for something like 1500 miles, because the car is expected to lower again more. I already did 400 miles and front has lost again 1/4". He'll then make an final alignment, end of september, just before my first track day with the car.

At the moment, because of the lowering, front has around -1° of camber and rear has much more. Front toe has been corrected, as you suggest, to the original factory values. Again, because on the lowering, rear has more toe in, but this has not been modified, since the car seems to be well balanced with that setup, and it saves labor (anyway the car will lower again and everything will have to be reviewed).

-2° on front seems huge to me, especially if you stay with factory toe out. It will certainly reduce understeer, but it will reduce a lot tires life, no?

Thank you for the suggestion on caster, will try that

BTW, bilstein PSS make a huge difference to the standard suspensions. I am very happy with them.

Camber plates do not seem to be homologated in switzerland for street use, but I'm waiting confirmation. I saw some using M3 lower arms, do they allow more camber even if we don't go for camber plates? Are we speaking of the E90/E92 M3 arms?

Cheers.