09-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i + M240iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisthetes View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I didn't get to work your run group, which also had bigmicj's 128i, so I couldn't get a detailed view of the 1's agility in action. I was hoping you'd stay for the timed runs, as you were my only true performance benchmark out there - especially since you were also on runflats!

You're right, with a proper set of tires alone, the car will be formidable. Add in suspension and neg front camber, and it'll be a little beast. Maybe once more of us start setting up our 1s for competition and using them actively, the car will gain a new level of respect from the BMW crowd. Right now, I get the sense that it's still a bit underrated.
Hey guys, I was glad to see the 1er's represented there. Aisthetes I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you. I walked over to say hello, but I think you were working the course.

I couldn't agree more with you in regard to the runflats. When others on the board talked about how bad they were, I just didn't get it. For daily street use they seemed fine to me. This weekend was quite the eye opener though. On my second timed lap, I turned off the traction control and lost the backend on the second turn. It felt like my car was constantly trying to find grip through the rest of the course.

Biggest lesson learned - I need different tires. My thrid run was pretty bad as I hit a cone and went off course, stopped and had to back up to get back on track Even so, I had a BLAST at my first autocross and will definitely be attending more in the future

I'll post some pics my wife took a little later.
Appreciate 0