View Single Post
      09-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #110
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Jeff, I haven't installed the AST coilovers yet, but in preparation I could use your advice on ride height. Assuming I had an infinite range of height adjustment, what would you recommend? My uneducated guess would be slightly lower than stock, but not too much. Perhaps 15-20mm. I am not interested in how it looks. Just how it performs. I understand the physics of a lower center of gravity, but I don't want to go too low and adversely impact the suspension geometry.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tyler View Post
Hey Philip,

Sounds like you have an awesome setup! This will be a very fast car. I'm sure you will love it when it is all done.

Ok, as for spring rates... Considering your setup is very similar to what Berk Technology (135i) and HP Autowerks (335i) are running, I would recommend going with 450lb/in F and 800lb/in R. This puts your wheel rates at 415lb/in F and 253lb/in R. Berk and HP are at 400F/800R springs, and the cars are a little too loose. They both need a bit more front spring rate. That is why I suggest 450F; both Berk and HP Autowerks are going to try 450F next to help with the oversteer. 400F/800R results in a very neutral car: perfect for drifting, but to go fast it needs a little more front spring.

Also, I sure would think the ideal setting for that front bar would be the 'stiff' setting. Strut-type front suspensions usually like a lot of bar.

I'd like to see some pictures of your ride height after you get the coilovers on
Appreciate 0