01-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #189
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Keeping real, I hate to say it, but I speculate the M1 will just be a juiced up 135i with a fist full of marketing dollars thrown at it to generate a last ditch sales boom before the doors close on the E82platform lifespan.

Scott has possibly eluded to this already by saying it will be an 'affordable M car' and by saying it will be based off the N55 engine. My guess is they will be using mostly off the shelf M3 parts for suspension / final drive / brakes. It will get new wheels and some body panel changes, but I would not expect a river of Carbon Fiber or anything like that.
I've had similar past sentiment, and it seems you and I are in agreement.

Since the e9X m3 parts are already being employed by many of us, and we can pretty much guarantee that the M1 will also use them. The differences really boil down to:
  • an M variable diff
  • dampers/springs
  • N55 tweaks
  • Wider tires/wheels
  • likely CF roof to counter the additional weight of the heavier diff and suspension
  • M body tweaks, like gills, power bulge hood, and fatter fenders
  • M3 sourced seating and other slightly nicer interior pieces (but don't expect leather dashboards)
I think it's going to be fairly easy to equal or exceed the driving qualities of the new M1 with our current 135i, BUT we wont be wearing the badge.

If I were just starting out shopping for a 1 series right now, I'd wait for the M1, instead of pouring money into the 135i. Since I feel I'm likely approaching or exceeding what the factory delivered M1 will do, I'm holding off until the F20 unveils.

Just as you said, Mark, they're not going to sink too much dev time and money into a 1 year car. They'll make it "good enough".
Appreciate 0