View Single Post
      02-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #50
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
235 on a 8.5 width up front will sit flush but will rub depending on the drop AND tire brand. without a drop i doubt it will rub unless you hit it hard. I am running this setup up front right now and its total flush with the fenders.
That's just the thing. it WILL rub when you hit a hard bump, and to my standards that is unacceptable. If it rubs, then it is a failure as a fitment (something's been compromised). Tire sizes are just a number. They aren't directly transferable from one tire brand to another, and so there is nothing at all optimal about picking a tire like a toyo tr1 just because it runs narrow, allowing you to install a 235 without issue. That 235 will be the same width as extreme summer performance tires in a 225 size. AND it will be lot slower, which is what this is really all about. You accomplish nothing by shoving a shit tire onto these wheels. They weren't designed for that. They were designed to be part of a system of proper wheel/tire/suspension setup which results in huge improvements when done in proper combination.

Here's a photo of this wheel (18x8.5" et38) and a real tire (NT-05) that could be used at an autocross or the track (and this runs narrower then a star spec). this car has as much camber as you can get into a car without plates.

Appreciate 0