Thread: MT vs. DCT
View Single Post
      04-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

MTs are fun and "the real driving experience" to many on this site - I will not really argue. The main benefits of MTs over automatics, other than being a real man while driving one, was: 1) better performance/acceleration, and 2) better gas mileage. I say "was" b/c now the DCT kills the MT on acceleration and gas mileage. I know, my wife has the Z4 35i with DCT and a few other modded goodies. Look, the MT will always be fun: throwing the gates, manipulating the pedals, etc. but even the "top" race cars in this world have used DCT for some time now. I admit that if the 1M is offered with both transmissions that would be GOOD so that we can choose - but if only one is offered you should hope it is the DCT because it will make this car much better on the track and off. It is faster, instant shifting with rev matching, and better gas mileage - albeit it weighs more but the performance numbers despite the heavier weight do not lie. I am performance driven so if I have to feel a little more like a girl while driving the DCT but kicking your a__, so be it.

Last edited by Vintage; 04-23-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0