View Single Post
      09-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #51
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
I haven’t read article, but reading the thread I can tell that article completely shares my feeling. 128 is a great car and it has enough power. Problem of 135 that it has too much power, however it makes more complicated managing it. Read the forum and you will find a thread where a guy complained that couldn’t catch up SUV on a ramp, since 135 was about to lose a track. It won’t happen with 128 since it has adequate power for turns, so certainly you have no fears to lose control of the car. How many 135 owners can confess that were passed by much slower cars like Civics or mini vans? It happens for me all time. However when I had 328 loaner, no one car could pass me. Again because less power is more manageable and as result car is much faster since is more controllable.
I read that post, and basically there was something wrong with his car.
The SUV he was talking about couldn't generate nearly the same level of grip as a 1 base suspension, let alone a 135i with sport suspension and tires.

Taking an off ramp is more about suspension and tire capability than power. Just because one may have 300lb ft of torque or 500lb ft of torque, there is this thing called a "throttle", which is controlled by the driver.
It's not an on/off switch. You can decide to put out 100lb ft or 200lb ft. You have to know when and how to apply it.

When I had my 325i I was passed and have passed as many SUV's and mini-vans as in my 135i. But, I don't understand your point.
You're talking about being past less often in a 328i than in a 135i. Under what conditions? More so, what does that have to do with how much power each car has?

I like the 128i and liked the 328i sport even more, as it has a better sorted suspension, which is even more confidence inspiring than my less than great 135i sport suspension. The NA engine is free revving and ultra smooth. Also, to me, it has a cooler more "racy" sound as the revs climb compared to the turbo damped high rpm sound of the TT engine.

Still, I don't get all this rhetoric about "too much" power from the TT engine. It just makes me think that some of you are simply intimidated by this much power. That's not a slam. I understand not wanting to deal with it.
But, making statements like, it takes more or different skill to drive a 128i vs a 135i, sounds silly to me.

Last edited by RPM90; 09-01-2010 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0