12-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #104
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
I think it is all in the eye of the beholder, if you are not looking at price but rather something fun and sport for the weekend; the 1M would be put up against other 2 door performance tuned coupes... the Cayman S, the TT RS, conceivably the Shelby/Boss Mustangs and other domestic muscle cars that have been dramatically improving for handeling lately.
Any of those could offer a LOT of smiles. I guess we all discuss topics like this from our own perspectives. For me, the extra $25k to a Cayman S matters. So does the reduced functionality.

Quote:
On the other hand if you were to look for something more a little more functionality as you are making a case for; the Evo and Sti are vastly more useful when it comes to cargo space and handeling adverse weather conditions.
Do those two really have that much more space?

As for weather, my general theory is that if it's so bad that a properly equipped (snow tires) Bimmer can't get through the snow easily, then I don't want my nice car out in it anyway; time to break out the beater. Even if I can stay exactly where I want, there are plenty of derelicts in 13 year old Explorers with bald all-season tires, or worse yet, stupid soccer moms with their X6-M with performance tires drifting sideways through the lanes.

Quote:
No, I don't think it is really any of those... mostly because the 1M doesn't fit snuggly into the price/performance model.
Agreed.

Quote:
If I had to pick the most direct competitor whose market they are cutting into, it would be the Nisimo 370Z... and I think they have done a good job.
Another car I like. Still the 2-seater thing puts it in a different class. If it's REALLY a weekend/toy, there's no way I'm getting a car with a back seat. If it's really a driving toy, it's a Lotus at the top of my list, possibly followed by a P-car.
Appreciate 0