Thread: track pads
View Single Post
      04-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Ruffan
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Redrum, I use the same pads on my Dinan 135i on the track and find they are wonderful with the stock brakes. I purchased (slightly used) a second set of stock front rotors which I swap on for track days so that they are matched to the Hawk DTC pads and I don't have to re-bed every time. My setup is:

Stock Calipers
Hawk DTC 70 front / DTC 60 rear pads
Track-specific set of stock front rotors
TiSpeed Titanium backing plates
ATE Super Blue Dot 4 fluid

I find the DTC pads allow for good modulation and obviously have significantly increased thermal capacity as compared to non-race pads. The biggest issue BY FAR with the 135 brakes is heat. There is very poor cooling due to the lack of air flow through the tight front end. I added the titanium backing plates as additional insurance against fluid boil, but it likely has the effect of keeping the pads slightly hotter. I drove maybe 8 track days last season with this setup and experienced no fade or fluid boiling, so i'm keeping it the same this year.

The second biggest issue with the stock brakes is that the front calipers don't allow for quick swapping of pads. Not a huge issue, but taking the calipers off just adds a bit more time/work. I take this opportunity to swap rotors as it's only one addiitonal hex bolt.

Happy driving.