View Single Post
      09-14-2010, 01:39 AM   #135
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I understand what you are saying...

I'm not saying it is all because of a lack of DCT, It is the entire package that is being rushed that is without a doubt the big bummer here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I don't agree that the lack of DCT relegates the 1M to "iS" status, if that is what you're trying to say.
I've stated that if the 1M doesn't have a special engine, then it's not what an M is to me.
All the corner cutting might put this M in the glorified "iS" category, with the DCT just being one factor in that recipe.

IOW, having or not having DCT doesn't make an M car. I'm not as interested in this car as I might have been, not because of DCT or MT.
Heck, it could have had DCT and no manual, but if it had the other things an M should have, I'd be interested.

Those that discard the 1M just because it won't have DCT, imo, are being somewhat superficial. After all, it's just an automated manual, a great one to be sure, but it's still only a transmission that you can get in any 1 or 3, even if it did have 7 too many selectable modes.
Where's the engine, will there be an adaptive and selectable suspension?
What's that special beyond a higher tuned N54 and a better tuned suspension, which frankly all 1's need?
An LSD and wider body with bigger wheels/tires? Sure, great, if the heart of the beast were a truly special monster.
M is for MOTOR! It starts there.

As far as F1 using these types of transmissions, did it make the sport more competitive? I don't think so. As awesome as the F1 cars are, it's always pretty much a non-RACE. I prefer watching the touring car series, where lap leaders can be swapped often, the cars are competitive to each other, and overall it's more fun to watch.

F1 goes to the team with the most money to spend on hardware and driver, and it's become boring. NASCAR has leveled the playing field so much that it's become 1 long exercise in drafting.
There's no "stock" in "stock car", for quite some time.
F1 has become a showcase for high dollar technology.
Might as well just run 1 car at a time, and the person with the fastest time wins, which is pretty much how it is now.

Anyway, having DCT type trans in F1 doesn't impress me, nor show me that it makes drivers better, faster, or allow pro drivers more time to contemplate 1 less pedal. For the money they pay these guys, they should be asked to use more skills at a time rather then less.
Appreciate 0