View Single Post
      08-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #583
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc45 View Post
I realize there are lots of different ways to think about this.
BMW is a luxury brand, luxury costs more, every car has its weakness etc. etc. blah blah blah. But $1300 for a fricken water pump is ridiculous. Please don't tell me to "live and learn" LOL. Please tell me more about the design change. That alone tells you there was a problem with the design.
I have owned all sorts of cars / brands for over 50 years.
The fact is that "Japanese" brands generally do not have this sort of problem at low mileage. I have had cars with hundreds of thousands of kilometers on them with no serious repairs needed. I know that no comparisons are really valid. You pay your money and you take your chances.
Don't ever get involved in motorcycles. When the radiator finally failed on my 09 848 last year, I went to price one out. $1000 for a dinky tiny radiator. Every place I checked was charging that amount if I wanted new OE. And the failure I suffered was a known defect which Ducati fixed the model year after mine. Fortunately I was able to source a very good condition Fleabay one for $120.
Appreciate 0